Go Back   Acrostic Forums > General Discussion > Questions or Problems?

Old 01-20-2016, 07:53 AM

Default Give up and get the solution?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if you've used all your hints and you still can't finish, is there a way to see the solution? Or do you just leave part of your life forever unfinished?
Old 01-20-2016, 05:43 PM

I have often wondered the same thing. Sometimes I think I have succeeded in doing the puzzle, but it insists there is a mistake somewhere, and I just have to leave it, never knowing what my mistake was.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:23 PM

I have been stuck from time to time myself, but have always managed to solve every one eventually -- even if I only get 10 points on that puzzle! I just won't give up. Anyway, here are some tips.

If you are using all 3 of your hints, that tells me that you must have a lot of unsolved clues, not just one or two. I suggest trying harder to figure out what the quote is trying to say. Even figuring out a few words in the quote gives a lot of extra hints in the clues. Look for common words: you probably know to look for the short words, but I notice that some longer words such as "sometimes" and "something" and "because" and "everything" and "experience" seem to show up a lot. Try filling in something that looks like it might work, and see if that helps solve clues. You can always erase what clearly does not work. Once you get an idea where the quote is going, what it is saying, it is always easier to finish the puzzle. Also, pay attention to the first letter of each clue - they will either spell out the name of the author, the name of the source, or both, or maybe just the last name & source - each clue tells you which. Just getting the first letter often makes it easier to get that word. Try not to use those hints!

If you are getting the puzzle almost done and it looks right but just won't accept your answer, then it is most likely bad spelling - that is my most frequent problem. If you carefully check each and every letter and still can't get it, you might try deleting some letters you think might be wrong and then taking the hint. I think you need at least 3 blank letters or it might not work, at least I read that before on here somewhere. Also, sometimes people have typed the number 0 by mistake when they meant to type the letter O (because they are so close to each other) which can be hard to spot.

Hope this helps. If you keep working at it, I am sure you can improve your percentage.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:52 PM

I usually solve them. It's when they're 99% solved that bugs me.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:44 AM

I agree. There should be a way to say "I give up - show me the answer".
Old 06-28-2017, 04:12 PM

All great suggestions, and I also would like a check puzzle feature. It's frustrating when you just reach the end of your possibilities, and it's still telling you it's not right. One thing that I have done, too, is to try putting a few consecutive words from the quote into Google - with quote marks front and back. Sometimes that will reveal the quote in context.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:43 PM

Would LOVE to know the solution to the ones I can't solve.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Chalk up another vote for this idea! It's so frustrating.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:15 AM

Thumbs up

Definitely need an 'Uncle!' button !
Old 06-25-2017, 08:02 AM

New member will soon be ex member, as I find it ridiculous that you cannot where a problem is.