Go Back   Acrostic Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2016, 02:03 PM

Question I don't understand the scoring.

I'm sure this has been covered here before, so if someone can direct me to a link, I'd appreciate it. I've completed almost 300 acrostics here. I'm definitely not the smartest person here, but I'm not dumb.

At least, I didn't think so. How is it possible that I make major points on one puzzle where I am below average, but get minimal points on another when I am well above average?

It's as though the site creators set the points without checking out which acrostics were the easiest to solve.

And then never changed the metrics.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

Points are awarded on elapsed time. There is no algorithm to take the difficulty into account. At least that is the way it seems to me. If you do the puzzle in under 150 seconds, you get 800 points. It goes down from there.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:21 PM

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:24 AM

Question Scoring.

I would like to see an alternative scoring method. One that takes into count the difficulty of a puzzle. It wouldn't be difficult to create an algorithm to incorporate the average completion time, and percentage of correct solutions.

I'm not necessarily advocating changing the current scoring method, but rather having a second score, the weighted score.

What do people think?
Old 12-08-2016, 06:53 AM

Default The scoring system needs to be changed

I'd throw out the current scoring method. The time it takes to solve a puzzle has to be related to the difficulty, or else everyone will just choose to solve the short puzzles, as I have done for the last 8 days.

I'm currently #1, but it is a fake victory. It just means I figured out how to game the system.

I'm right-handed and my right hand is in a cast, but as long as I plug away (the surgeon is going to kill me) and hit F5 or refresh on my browser, I can just pick the <350 second puzzles and score major points.

I'd rather be #30 - or #90 - on a meaningful system than #1 on a system that doesn't make any sense.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:22 AM

Default Here's a quick fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by genevoise View Post
I would like to see an alternative scoring method. One that takes into count the difficulty of a puzzle. It wouldn't be difficult to create an algorithm to incorporate the average completion time, and percentage of correct solutions.

I'm not necessarily advocating changing the current scoring method, but rather having a second score, the weighted score.

What do people think?
I agree entirely that scores should be rated on where you are on the "fastest scorer" scale rather than just elapsed seconds. The current system is a farce.

If the host doesn't have the funds to do so, here's a quick fix for our host: every time you press refresh on your browser to get a quick puzzle, you forfeit a significant # of points. A "gimme" puzzle (one that has been solved in <300 seconds) is a sure 700+ point winner, but to find them you have to refresh your browser a lot and bypass the ones with the higher average times.

The scores and ratings would look radically different if everyone had to pay a penalty for refreshing their browser when a difficult puzzle appears. 100 pts per refresh? Very different.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:04 AM

If any new system does not prevent players from posting bogus times, what's the point?
Old 12-09-2016, 08:12 PM

Default Just a typing contest

I stopped doing acrostics for a few months and have come back recently. It seems to me that the puzzles have become easier to solve, which, combined with the current scoring method, basically means it's the faster typists, not the most adept solvers, who achieve the highest scores.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:55 AM

Easier? Drat, I thought I was improving.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:49 PM

Default Are the scores true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartp View Post
If any new system does not prevent players from posting bogus times, what's the point?
Stewartp, do you have any basis for saying that? I used to compete in the ACPT, and there are people there who just blow my mind at how fast they can fill out a puzzle. For some reason, most are math or music majors - I've never figured that out.

I've seen your comments on several puzzles claiming that it's a fake record. Please be more explicit about why these are false records. Explain how they could have done it, because I just don't see how.